Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Potty Training

So I've heard that potty training can happen when the parents are ready and willing to do it. So, I decided about 2 weeks ago that it was time. Emmalyn is 2 years 4 months and a smart one so I decided I was ready and therefore she was too. We did a 5 day count down. I told her in 5 days she was going to get to wear "undies"(that's what we've decided to call them) and put her you know in the toilet. She was very excited and caught on to the count down. Then last Monday came and we went for it. I had prepared for this by purchasing play dresses. I figured if she were to have an accident at least I would have to change her clothes if she just had a dress on. Well let me just tell you that the first day we went through all 6 pairs of undies and 3 dresses. At the end of the day I was wondering what in the world was I thinking but told myself give it a week. The 2nd day was a little better. I think we managed to keep it down to 2 dresses but still all 6 pairs of undies. By the end of day 2 I was ready to give up but just kept telling myself only 5 more days. I was determined to give it an entire week. Thank goodness! Each day got a little better and by day 5 she was on the right track. We have just finished day 9 and are doing pretty good. She of course still has accidents but she's catching on.
We're not done yet, I'll keep you posted but so far this has been quite the experience. I think I could have waited a few more weeks but now that I've started, I can't stop. It is nice only changing one diaper even if I do have to clean up an accident here or there.

2 comments:

AZ Powells said...

Yeah for you - isn't it exciting to be there..Can I tell you that I am so done and threw ALL my coupons away a couple weeks ago. We are officially done and I haven't looked at a nappy or pull-up in over a month!!! Yay Clayton and bigger yay me. By the way - Yay Emma!!!!!

Gretchen J said...

I have to say that potty training is the worst!! It's not just a short time either, it's months and months of training, and I haven't even done the night training thing. Emma has been doing the potty almost a year and it's been a year of potty training. Granted the accidents are few and far between but my Emma is a camel! She can hold it, dance around, and still say, "I don't need to go potty!" Then all of a sudden it's, "I have to go, I have to go!" That's what mom was trying to tell you. She has such control and she loves it!! Little bugger!! Keep up the potty!! Way to go!! Now if I could just get the one year old to go on the potty...